This is one of my most favorite things to talk about …. I can go on and on and on on this topic!
Marketing Mindset …. What is this??
Marketing Mindset is defined as the ability to look ahead and understand a task so you can apply the appropriate technology or initiative, ask the appropriate questions, tell your client how you can help and take care of the rest. This is probably the #1 quality business owners look for in a Virtual Assistant.
“I want a Virtual Assistant who will understand my business, think ahead of me and who applies their initiative to take care of things so I don’t have to.” This is one of the most common request we have heard from business owners.
Applying the Marketing Mindset is what has built my business. I had no idea what it was … I couldn’t figure out why my client’s kept telling me I was different …… I honestly thought EVERYONE was doing exactly the same as I.
But they were not!
Now there are some things that YOU must do in order to appropriately apply your Marketing Mindset. You need to take inventory – that’s what we’re going to talk about tomorrow. But essentially if you listen and gather details, you can turn around, apply your mindsets, understand the various pieces to a task and tell your client how you can support them and what pieces you need them to do themselves.
Consider these two scenarios:
(1) You’re working with a client. They tell you they want to finish an ebook and start selling it on their website within the next month. You say “Great!”, make a note of it in your own notes and promise to check in a few weeks to see how close they are to completion.
(2) You’re working with a client. They tell you they want to finish an ebook and start selling it on their website within the next month. You say “Great!” … do you have a shopping cart in place at this time or a Merchant account? You know that in order for your client to sell items on their website, they do need to have some form or accepting payment … perhaps they’ll use PayPal. You ask questions in order to determine what exactly you need to think about in order to help them achieve their goal of selling this ebook. You create a plan to keep them accountable and finish the ebook on time. You ask questions such as:
- Is someone assisting you already with the graphic designed of the ebook cover?
- Do you have someone in place to review/proofread and format the ebook? (many VAs can offer this service)
- Do you have a payment processing service in place?
- We should consider using autoresponders – here’s why (list reasons).
- I’ll check in with you every 4-5 days to see how you’re doing on getting the ebook done sound good? Or I’ll book time out of your schedule so you can work on your ebook and get it done.
- Let’s talk about how we’re going to promote the ebook …..
So you can see what I mean about applying Marketing Mindset in example #2. You ask questions, think about what you can do, confirm what they have in place and then you’re going to TELL them what needs to be put in to place.
Do you apply your Marketing Mindset?
Think about how you can apply your Marketing Mindset with your current clients and any potential ones.